Friday, March 3, 2017

Ash Wednesday

3rd Mar 2017

The cue for this week's six sentence story is the word  "return".




Ash Wednesday

"You have some dirt on your forehead," the young girl at the supermarket checkout announced whilst efficiently scanning the contents on of my shopping basket.
"Yes, it's ashes in the form of a cross," I replied and that was all I could say as the customer behind me had already taken her attention with stories of where she was going later and why she was in such a hurry.
In actual fact the little cross, which we receive on Ash Wednesday, the start of lent,  did look  more like a thumb sized blob, a bit of dirt.
It made me think that this muck, this easy way of life that I've slipped into where I think only of myself and my own concerns, is precisely what I need to clean up during these forty days.
So, I will return to the narrow way, spending time in prayer and trying and come closer to The Lord.
I will look foreward to living the Easter story with joy as a brighter, more spiritual me.

7 comments :

  1. It is so easy to wander off with our own problems and distractions and forget Who and what we're here for. Doing the Ten Things of Thankful blog list each week really helps me keep in mind how active God is in my life and how much I have to be thankful for. Connecting with everyone through our blogs and Facebook helps me remember how blessed I am with such wonderful people in my life! I know you have a caring, charitable heart, and I'm sure you will feel the renewal of Easter all the more this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one. Back to the basics . I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whats the technical term, 'vignette'?
    yeah, nice like vignette (which by virtue of being limited to Six Sentences is very much a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ash Wednesday and Lent are to do just what you described: remind us of our reason and purpose. Hopefully, we can use this awareness to be better humans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you use "return" in this way. We return to the basic tenets of our youth, our life, our being. And no matter how far away we get, there is always a path of return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice use of the prompt, especially considering the timing! I wish you a prayerful and spiritually blessed Lent.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment with advice and critique.